Wonderful ginger root is like hot summer sunshine touching the earth.
And by fermenting it, it will give you abundance of good bacteria for your healthy gut! Also it could ease pain, reduce inflammation and even help alleviate soreness after intensive workouts.
It couldn’t be easier to make it than this recipe!
- fresh ginger
- rock or sea salt (unrefined)
- filtered water (not from the tap! As it contains chlorine, which is not good for fermentation.)
- wash and peel ginger
- cut into thin slices
- put in a sterilised glass jar
- you could use a wooden spoon to soften the ginger a bit
- dissolve salt into water and submerge the ginger, with at least 2cm depth over the top
- put a lid on (if the lid is metal, make sure it doesn’t touch brine)
- leave it for 3 days (more if you think it needs a bit more time)
Health – promoting benefits of fermented ginger:
- improves immune system
- and even memory (as this study suggests )
- antimicrobial (interesting reading mostly in Korean but there is an extract in English http://db.koreascholar.com/article?code=340418)
Please give us your feedback, share ideas and recipes or interesting news regarding this amazing root